Wednesday 17 October 2018

GREY CATBIRD - a personal account

Well...quite a few days!!!

BUBO badge positively glowing at the moment.

After the pandemonium of Sunday evening (nice though!!!), I had to plan the logistics of our big night out in Leeds on Monday to see the legend that is Jeff Lynne and the Electric Light Orchestra. Before that though I had to ready for a WRS re-appearance...but where to go? Back to Hornsea or down the road for a possible fly-by...or better. The weather was grim at daybreak so I decided on Spurn but I also decided to wait in the car by the radio...and the phone of course.

By 10am it was clear that the bird had moved on from Hornsea and I'd had enough at Spurn so I returned home to plan our trip.

Of course, just after lunch...

14.09 MEGA WHITE-RUMPED SWIFT Spurn flew north over the Warren

We had to leave fro Leeds at 3 but it was worth a peep, you never know it could be lingering? I bumped into a few Birders on Easington straight including Steve Webb but there was no sign or further news. He told me that he'd heard only two Birders had claimed it...which was quite surprising given the blanket coverage. It transpired that the bird seen was a House Martin.

To put a bit more spice on the occasion I'd misplaced aka lost our tickets!!'d received them months ago and put them in a "safe place"...you know how it is. Everything turned out fine though and we had an amazing evening watching an old school legend. Just like the records...


Earlier as we were enjoying our Barbacue Pizza at Frankie and Benny's I'd received a message that was rather inconvenient considering the circumstances...

MEGA GREY CATBIRD Trevescan, Cornwall - one at Treeve Moor just north of Treeve Moor House briefly at 15.55

I hid the tension well from Louise...I think.

The concert finished at 10.30 and despite having some problems finding the car park we arrived back in Holmpton just after mid-night...when I broke the news. She helped me pack up and I left for Cornwall at 12.30am. I'd received some messages from Tony Dixon earlier but my phone had died taking pics at the concert (car charger also playing up) and it was too late for arrangements now, so it was going to be a solo attempt.

The joys of night-time Motorway closures are also part of the "fun" and I hit THREE different spots. The main problem was on the M1 at junction 25 which meant I couldn't access the M42. I lost a good hour with the detours which put the pressure on making it for dawn.

I did.

After sorting Bud out I got my stuff and made my way the short distance to join the troops...


It was just after 8. Plenty of familiar faces were present including a few from Yorkshire namely Trevor Charlton, Brett Richards and John Hewitt. It was also nice to have a chat with Paul Freestone.

The atmosphere was tense and thankfully conversations were kept to a minimum but there was no sign of the bird as the time past 9.

Then around 9.15...someone called..."There it is"!!! For a change I managed to get "on it" straight away before it quickly disappeared.

BRILLIANT!

I even allowed myself a Cheer!

The site the bird had chosen was in a hollow providing a natural amphitheatre....which helped keep things (reasonably) civilized! The next two hours were spent at various viewpoints from which I obtained some great views of a wonderful bird. I've seen plenty in Texas but I still get a BIG thrill seeing a bone fide MEGA for Britain...especially from the West. The previous record of this species was from Anglesey but many missed it...including me. Everyone happy now though. I was feeling the strain by 11 and the thought of the return journey was coming sharply into focus. I gave Bud another stretch and a drink and started to pack up.

I noticed a small group at the far end of the car park looking rather "interested"? I hadn't managed to get a pic so I felt it was worth a bit longer, so I joined them. Lee Evans was amongst the group and he and a few others, reckoned they had heard its distinctive call, from whence it gets its name.  Definitely worth a while longer! Sure enough some 10 minutes later, there it was, sat motionless in a bush not 20 yards away...

GREY CATBIRD (514 for Britain)

A great ending to a great twitch. Bonkers I know but that's the way it is. 1160 miles and the old V70 performed brilliantly...again. I do still love it...for the right bird of course! Also helps if you SEE it.

Many thanks to the chaps who arranged access.

......................................................................................

Just for the record I did manage to dig out a few record shots of the...

WHITE-RUMPED SWIFT




Pretty poor but who cares...I WAS there...and I SAW it! A FIRST for Britain no less.

You gotta love...October...

Louise's 60th tomorrow...hopefully a quiet day...I WON'T be chasing!

No comments: