Friday 5 October 2018

Hobby

Taking stock today...unless of course?

Yesterday was an excellent one.

A male and female Blackcap (plus the first Tree Sparrow for quite a while) around the birdbath provided excellent entertainment over breakfast.

I started with a 4 mile walk with Bud along the beach from Holmpton to With'. My only reward was a single Wheatear, first on the cliff top...


Then on the plough...


I check the loafing gulls fairly regularly and today I squeezed a Med' Gull out of a distant flock...


Around 2.30 I received a message from Rich Willison showing a great pic of a Hobby. I assumed it was the North Cave bird and replied I might make a trip over tomorrow, although I'd read it was a bit of a "bun fight"! However, it turned out this one was at Albrough (just up the road). I arrived around 3.30 following Richard's directions. I tried the track to the fishing ponds and parked in the decent sized car park. I gave him a ring and he told me he was in the adjacent caravan park. He'd mentioned the bird had a favourite post along the track and as I was driving back up it I could see the bird perched on top!


As you can see it was pretty dull conditions but at least it was there...and close! I rolled the car slowly up the track enabling me to get some better images...





Not the best of settings BUT crippling views. Feeling rather smug I made my way into the Caravan site to join Richard. Thinking it couldn't get any better...it did! When I eventually found him he was pointing towards the finely cut turf by the caravans? There, feeding without a care in the world...was the Hobby!!


What a treat!

The bird was oblivious to our presence happily feeding on Crane flies (aka daddy longlegs)...


No words needed...

No comments: