Friday 13 April 2018

Cyprus 18 - Day 20

...and so...to the final day!

Our flight was at 10.20pm...so we had ALL day.

A large pipit had been present at Mandria for over a week (I hadn't seen it)...and the general consensus was Richard's. I was there at dawn until 9. At 8.55 the bird flew in. It remained distant in the grasses and I didn't get anything conclusive photographically. However, I DID pick up certain features through my scope that put me in the Blythe's camp. Again...time will tell.

Time for our last Costa at Paphos Mall. I'd just found a seat while Louise ordered. Message from Ian...

Rock Thrush male seen this morning at Paphos Archaeological Site!!!

5 minutes away. This time I played it (relatively) cool. I didn't mention it to Louise and we enjoyed our coffee and apple pie (strongly recommended).

I then broke the news to her and she said she was fine strolling the Mall while I nipped down the road. It was the day before Good Friday and things had become far busier...all part of the master plan. It was also approaching noon and the temperature was 25C. I have to admit I didn't fancy my chances when I saw the queue of coaches parked by the site!

I paid my entrance fee and started the long walk to the Amphitheatre passing crowds of grockles including hordes of kids. The heat was radiating nicely of the ruins!? My heart sank when I saw the Amphitheatre awash with young lads playing soldiers! I sat on a nearby wall under a tree to cool down...and get my breath back.

After around 15 minutes the chaps moved on and the area went relatively quiet. I started to scan the area. Unsurprisingly not a bird in sight! Behind me was a large area including more ruins that was cordoned off. I remembered back to the start of the holiday when a Blue Rock Thrush had hung around in this area for a few days. I wonder?

I started to scan again. Yes...it's another one of those moments...

Rock Thrush male at 80yds
Another special bird in special circumstances.

I walked around the perimeter hoping the bird wouldn't be spooked by passing tourists. Although it obviously couldn't have been that bothered...you never know. Fortunately, it remained in the same area, allowing me to get some more shots of this stunning species...

My first view on reaching the other side of the area...

It is there!
 
Over the next 30 minutes or so I enjoyed the company of an iconic bird...all to myself. This was another example of our secret world. I even mentioned it to a few passers by who showed limited interest. To each their own...this was bliss for yours truly. What's not to like?...
 
 
 
 
We all hope to have a great last day...I was certainly having one...

 
I returned to the Mall elated by my experience.

I decided to spend the last afternoon over on the Akrotiri Peninsular again. There had been a report yesterday of an unusual White Wagtail, possibly of the Siberian race "ocularis" at Akrotiri Marsh. It had been seen at the western end. Again, this is a large area...but it was worth a try. Victor Tjernberg and his group had looked for 3 hours in the morning with no luck. I gave it an hour but no joy. The weather wasn't great now with the wind picking up and the odd shower. We'd been VERY lucky throughout the holiday though. I decided to head for the hide. This was one area that was much improved from last year.

Another species that I missed last year was the Squacco Heron. Not this time. I struggled to get an image through the reeds but eventually managed a couple...



There were five birds present altogether.

A small flock of Garganey was also hiding in the reeds...


I counted 8 males and 3 females and this was my closest encounter with this smart duck on Cyprus. I then got a better view of the gorgeous Squacco Heron...


Still no sign of the "wagtail".

There were some manure heaps at the rear of the scrape. Wagtails like manure heaps! Without word of a lie I trained my scope on one of them and this was what I saw...



Not great but conclusive I feel. You can clearly see the stripe through the eye and the large pale patch on the flank. I'd re-found the "ocularis" White Wagtail!!! A first for Cyprus and possibly the WP. I let as many people know as possible then I had to leave to pick Louise up and head for the airport. I'd connected with 5 minutes of my holiday remaining. What a last day!!! Victor and Jane managed to make it before dusk.

No comments: