Wednesday 25 April 2018

Catch up

A few images for different reasons from recent times...

Firecrest at Kilnsea Wetlands(6/4)...


Buzzard on Snakey Lane...


Mute Swan (3) on Snakey Lane (Holmpton MEGA!!!)


Late Fieldfares (c100) at dusk just south of Village...


Garganey drake at Kilnsea Wetlands...


Six of the eighteen Avocets present at Skeffling recently...


Oystercatchers on the cliff top at Holmpton...


Sand Martins (c100) at Old Hive...


.........................................................................................

Monday's plan changed when we were up on Skeffling bank getting our exercise. News of a Red-rumped Swallow just down the road pricked my ears up. Not only a superb bird but a potential Spurn tick to boot!

Most records are "fly-bys" but this one appeared to be lingering? As I left Kilnsea Wetlands car park I could see a group of Birders scanning the area. News came over the radio (always handy) that the bird was over Westfield Farm, a quick scan and I had my tick, albeit distantly. The bird then disappeared from view. I decided to get a higher vantage point and headed towards the flood bank at Beacon Ponds. As I walked the path the bird flew over my head and onto the Wetlands!!

I then saw Steve Webb who was coming the other way. He'd also seen it shoot over in the strong wind. Another 15 minutes went by but we couldn't relocate it. More birders arrived and then moved on towards Holderness Field. Another message over the radio..."RRS over Holderness field". Five minutes later we were all enjoying superb views of this stunner as it hawked for insects at close quarters.

It even landed on the fence briefly at one stage...


Spurn 302

Tuesday we did make it along Skeffling floodbank as far as the Welwick Marsh Gate. I was rewarded for my modest effort with 6 Avocets and 8 Whimbrel.

The afternoon produced an unexpected Mistle Thrush in the cliff top paddock.

This morning found us at Out Newton early doors walking North towards the Village. As I pulled up a lovely Yellow Wagtail greeted us...


I also added Curlew and House Martin to the Holmpton year list (68)

I've updated my totals (Swift would bring up the Patch ton nicely!?)...now here's to a bird-filled Spring?

No comments: