Sunday 8 April 2018

Cyprus 18 - Day 14

The day started back on Paphos Headland searching in vain for a probable CASPIAN STONECHAT. It turned out that the directions I'd been given were incorrect...which didn't help! Never mind. I then bumped into Paul Foster again. We had a chat and then tried another area. We found it! Time will tell?

We were then joined by Ian Bloomer who told us a probable spot for Wryneck. We made our way to the area and within 10 minutes I was fortunate enough to pick it out...


After a bit of manoeuvring by the admiring group, we all obtained stunning views, as we watched the bird enjoying the morning sun...

Cyprus tick!
A nice start to the day.

I hope I can do justice to what happened next...

I received a text from Ian Bloomer informing me a CREAM-COLOURED COURSER had been found by Victor Tjernberg at Timi beach!!! I was nearly back at the apartment when I received this news. Fortunately Louise was ready for the day so we quickly made our way down there. I dropped her off at the beach café and made my way to the site by the pergola.

No sign of a CCC or any birders. I gave Victor a call. He said the bird had been flushed by a dog walker but they had miraculously managed to re-find it by a track nearer to Mandria. He did his best to give me directions but I was struggling to "get the gist". Ian (fortunately) turned up with his wife Kate. I gave the phone to him and sped off to tell Louise the latest development! She was dying to know lol! I figured I'd use the time wisely while Victor gave Ian directions. Ian soon arrived (with my phone) and I followed him...which was a great relief. Louise unsurprisingly remained at the café!

Around 10 minutes later we joined Victor and his client who were encouragingly looking intently into a field from a raised bank. A quick scramble out of the car and I was looking, albeit distantly, at my first CCC for Cyprus and only my second ever after the 2004 Scilly bird. I set my scope up and showed the bird to Kate. As she was admiring the bird it took flight and flew strongly east and out of view. Disappointingly, I wasn't able to obtain any pics.

We were all obviously keen to re-find the bird and headed off towards Mandria along the track. As we drove down the road towards the beach an pulled along side me and suggested we split up and search different areas...a very good idea indeed! He decided to try some inland fields...I new exactly were I was going. The CASPIAN PLOVER spot! Surely I couldn't be THAT lucky?

I pulled up by the picnic area and scanned. The adrenaline was flowing! There not 10yds away was...

My first view!
Another re-find! I phoned Ian and put the news out. We enjoyed stunning views of a stunning bird...



 


After having my fill I returned to Timi to pick up the boss. Some admirers were...shall we say...getting carried away!?

We returned early afternoon (2.30), not knowing what to expect really? Well, no birders...so presumably no bird? WRONG...

"Just" a(nother) great bird!!! All to myself. Marvellous.



The bird was flushed by a Hooded Crow at 2.58 and wasn't seen again despite extensive searching later in the day.

Another experience that's "right up there"...and beyond!

2 comments:

Paul Foster said...

Sods law I missed it Alan....one day!

Alan Whitehead said...

Pity. A good reason to go back!