Monday 9 April 2018

Cyprus 18 - Day 15

Yellow Wagtails!

We don't get much variation in Britain...to put it mildly! So it's great to see the variations and numbers passing through Cyprus.

Last year I never experienced a "fall" but boy, did I make up for it this year!! I found large numbers around Paphos Sewage Works and Mandria...



One evening as we were returning "home" we passed large numbers feeding intently by the roadside. They were totally oblivious to our car which allowed me to get some closer...


I had another look for the CCC but it had departed (more later). There were still plenty of birders searching. I did get great views of this feeding Kestrel...

We then drove over to the Akrotiri peninsular for lunch. It was then time to visit Bishop's Pool at the southern end. I'd just left the car when I received a message from Jane...

Cream-coloured Courser Akrotiri gravel pits in same area as the Bimacs!

That was only 15 minutes away. I drove the pebbles north. I passed a pair of Cypriots, saying hello as we crossed. No sign of the CCC in 4 drives. As I was leaving I noticed the 2 chaps again. Turned out they were birders and they'd seen the CCC!!! I managed a brief view before it was flushed by a male Pallid Harrier and flew high south. Never mind, mustn't be greedy. It was almost certainly the Mandria bird. Lucky to see it again.

I had a decent search to try and re-locate it but it's a vast area and I struck out. I did see this Little Egret...


Also present was a freshly bathed Isabelline Wheatear...





A set definitely worth sharing I feel.

We then moved onto Akrotiri Marsh were I had my first Cyprus experience of a flock of Glossy Ibis...




A nice flock of 36.

No comments: