Wednesday 13 January 2016

Spurn stuff

As I was driving down Easington straight towards Long Bank I noticed Partridges to my left. No big deal but not common in the Spurn recording area, so I pulled over. I didn't expect to see them again but I got lucky. Poor light for a change but I spotted a head...

Grey Partridge
Then a couple scurrying away...


Then one standing proud in the early morning light...


Really pleased to find this species in this area.

The tide was turning so I went down to the estuary to try to pick up some waders for the year. I thought I might connect with some Black-tailed Godwit but I could only see Bar-tailed...


As I turned to leave I saw a couple of birds standing high on branches at Big Hedge. They had to be Stonechats...


Next it was Vicar's Lane to try for the wintering Chiffchaff sp. Differing opinions here. Most now thinking it's "just" a Chiffchaff, some maintaining it's a Siberian tristis. I only saw the bird briefly and it seemed to have yellowish tones to me. Anyway, I managed a pic...


Back home for lunch after enjoying the deer...


I'd arranged to meet Phil at Skeffling at 1pm to search for Harriers. The SUN was out!!! The farm fields made a series of temporary scrapes with the plentiful floodwater. It made for a fine scene. Hundreds of Lapwing were present, showing off their pied appearance as they flew. Superb birds.

Suddenly everything went up. Peregrine! One minute it was head on, next it had shot left. Far to fast for me to get a pic. A great moment though. A Sparrowhawk was also noted. We had brief views of a Marsh Harrier in the distance but no luck with Hen or SEO.

Patch - 76
Spurn - 37

Weather forecast looks grim for tomorrow...

No comments: