Monday 4 January 2016

2016 - let's get the ball rolling!

The days of up at dawn for a mad scramble day list are long gone. A combination of age and present condition. Acute earache hasn't helped. Always lucky to get an ailment when you can't get hold of any medication!

To the birds...

1st
Got a call from Gavin to inform me there was a Brent Goose by the Sewage Works. Plenty down the road but notable locally. Fortunately it hung around long enough for me to connect...



2nd
Still struggling with the ear. The weather was poor and I didn't intend going far except to exercise Bud. However, a message on the pager informed me of some decent Geese just north of Long Bank. Phil was there when I pulled up and we both enjoyed views of a couple of White-fronts and a Barnacle...


The bonus came when I picked out the yellow triangle of a Whooper Swan on the other side of the road...


3rd
Again as a result of dog exercise I managed to stumble across a Buzzard right by the road as I drove back home through Weeton. I still haven't learnt my lesson regarding leaving the camera behind. The bird had of course flown when I returned.

4th
Finally got to the Doc's this afternoon for some much needed medication. Happy New Year? On the way I came across a decent flock of Fieldfares (c.100)...



with a sprinkling of Redwings (c10)...


I had an hour to wait before the pharmacy re-opened. I was sick of being couped up in the house so I had a drive down to Stone Creek/Sunk Island. Even though I was "out" it was dull and dank. I drove the lanes slowly hoping for a Raptor/Owl. As I was turning at Sunk Island I spotted what was obviously a Short-eared Owl quartering the fields distantly, inland of the floodbank...


 I hoped it would come my way and fortunately it did, landing by the main drain...

Keeping an eye on a Magpie
So, 4 days in to 2016 and despite not doing any proper birding I'm extremely pleased with what I've managed to see so far. I hope you've had a decent start.

No comments: