Friday 29 January 2016

CYPRUS 2016 - Day 3

An unusual day today. Started and finished locally with a ride out east in the middle of the day where virtually nothing of note was seen! Still I continued my quest to check out as many sites as possible...in a (hopefully) leisurely manner.

My first scan was at Menou pools for the reported Ruddy Shelducks but they weren't present. The first notable species of the day was a group of 7 White-fronted Geese at the Sewage Works...here's 5 of them...


they spent the day in the adjacent fields before returning at dusk. I also found 5 Ferruginous Ducks. Unfortunately they were way over the far side but I managed to grab a record shot of 4 with a Gadwall and a Shoveler...


Next some migrants. 3 Swallows! No big deal I'm sure but it was nice to see some...in January! As I was leaving I noticed a Pipit fly up into a bush...Red-throated. It was time to head back for breakfast.

Today we were travelling east towards Cape Greco to try a few sites. As we reached Menou Pools I decided to have a quick scan to see if the Ruddy Shelducks had dropped in. No RS but as I parked some decent sized birds flushed from the marsh...


Fortunately they landed close by...

Stone Curlew
I reckon there were at least 10 birds present. Great birds and always a thrill.

I reckon we spent around 4 hours east of Larnaca before giving it up and returning to the local area. I stopped off briefly at Oroklini Marsh and I'm glad I did as there were 5 Med' Gulls in front of the hide. The hide unfortunately faces South so the birds are backlit. Still, here's a couple I like...



The Stone Curlews were still present on our return.

I scanned the individual pools for the special Shelducks but still no joy so I headed for the hide for the last hour to see what might come in to roost.

It was soon going up for 5 (sunset 5.10). A small roost of ever-changing Gulls was present but I couldn't see anything "unusual". A female R.C.Pochard was notable.

4.51pm.

Another scan.

Out of nowhere...again, way over the far side...TEN RUDDY SHELDUCKS...


Another example of why I love my hobby. In a word...SURPRISE!

No comments: