Wednesday 11 April 2018

Cyprus 18 - Day 18

This was my pass-out day in the East while Louise enjoyed a relaxed day around Paphos.

I'd arranged to meet Joe Donaldson and his buddy John Lovatt at Cape Greco at dawn. I made it...just. I saw John first marching across a field to greet me. After a chat we then noticed Joe walking towards us from his car.  Lance Degnan and his group were also present...small world (again) and all that!

We spent the morning touring some of the sites they regularly check which was VERY helpful for me regarding future planning. The first species of note was the elusive Cyprus Warbler. Apparently more common on this side of the island we soon found a singing if mobile bird...



With some manoeuvring by John and I we eventually got a better view...



A Chukar by the roadside also showed well...


At another site on the headland I managed to grab a pic of a Spectacled Warbler that showed briefly...


We then headed to Protaras and the chaps apartment for some refreshment. Next stop was Lake Paralimni the site of my Lifer CASPIAN PLOVER last year. I followed the lads in my car as they navigated their way to our first stop. It was hot...pushing 30C. I followed them down to the small pools...all that was left of the "Lake" I was hoping to connect with two more Cyprus ticks.

The first bird seen was a fast disappearing LRP...


I managed to find another...


We all settled in around the main pool and scanned. After around 10 minutes the first target came into view...

Spotted Crake

I was cooking now but it's funny how the heat doesn't bother me as much...when I'm viewing great birds!!

We'd seen a few White Wagtails but I was hoping for something more spectacular. Eventually, it gave itself away...

Citrine Wagtail
The bird was at the far end of the pool and the heat haze was horrendous but  thought t was worth showing this one of it perched in a bush. Over the next 20 minutes we enjoyed stunning views of the lemon marvel...


Joe and I never altered our position and the bird wasn't flushed. It just walked right over to us...magic!




Closer and closer...


A fantastic experience...yet another!!!


After thanking Joe and John I started to make my way back to Paphos. Then something unusual happened. I got a text message from Jane informing me that she was watching 2 Audouin's Gulls right now at Kermia beach. That was 10 minutes away!

I knew where Kermia was and I knew where "a" beach was...BUT was it the right one? I'd tried this spot both this year and last with no success. Anyway I arrived but no Gulls were to be seen. I called Jane. I was in the wrong spot! After a few more navigational problems we eventually met and she took me in her 4x4 along a track that would have been far to much for my Ford Focus. Alas some young lads had decided to do what young lads do...and that was that...no AG on the rocks. I thanked her for thinking of me and all the information she'd sent me and we went our separate ways. It was good to meet her at last.

Fuelled by this near miss I tried a few more spots along the coast between Agia Napa and Larnaca without any success. Last try was Pervolia lighthouse, again no joy but I did get great views of a Laughing Dove. The bird gave off some great shades in the late afternoon sun...

No comments: