Thursday 20 October 2022

Scilly 22 - Day 7

Last nights rather risky gamble paid off in the fact that the PECHORA PIPIT somewhat predictably wasn't relocated. An amazing "find" by Kris Webb aka Scilly Spider; even more remarkable was the fact that he managed to obtain a photograph of this "super skulker".

The extremely thin chance of seeing this Bird (for a Scilly tick) didn't stop me rising at 7 and making my way up to the Site for Dawn...

The Harbour at first light

I was the only Birder present on arrival!? When I looked into the Rape field I realized why...


A buggy pulled up with three Birders in. I quipped that I could do with one of those! We set our scopes up and scanned...with supreme optimism. The Fieldfares had arrived...in force. Hundreds were circling the Telegraph area...a fine sight indeed! Somehow more evocative on an Island? A few Meadow Pipits were on the wires with Starlings. Then we picked out a Tree. A Mistle Thrush (scarce here) flew over. A Willow Warbler gave itself away in the hedge, then a male Blackcap. A charm of 5 Goldfinches alighted on a bush. The Trip List was increasing nicely, some "proper Birding" at last. By 9.30 I'd had enough.

I headed for the Golf Course as I thought some of the Thrushes may have landed there to feed. They had...

Into the light but somehow fitting

Great to see the visible migration of these superb "winter" Thrushes...


Chuffed to pick out a single Ring Ouzel in the distance...


I scoped further down the Golf Course and was pleased to see in the far distance a couple of Golden Plovers...


...then, a Lapwing, both scarce on Scilly...


A flock of 13 Skylarks was also noteworthy.

A report of a roaming Osprey grabbed my attention as it was touring the Islands? I'd arranged to meet Louise for lunch at Juliet's Garden and as I waited for her news came through it was heading across  from Tresco to Bryher. I set my scope up and scanned across but I couldn't pick it up despite some useful directions over the radio...

More Samson than Bryher!

The views over the Harbour and beyond are spectacular from this location...



After a very pleasant hour we headed back towards Hugh Town. A report of a Wryneck on St Agnes tempted me and Louise headed for Old Town Bay to read her book. As the boat left the Harbour, with just two of us on it...


...an update on the Osprey came over the WhatsApp, informing me it was passing Buzza Tower. Of course I couldn't see it! It wasn't to be...this time.

I made my way to the Site of the Wryneck. On the way a lady asked me what the small crowd she'd passed were looking at. I explained with the help of a pic on my Collins App. She was very impressed with the Bird! The Bird wasn;t showing on arrival so I joined the small group and waited. There was a small group of American Birders present. After around 30 minutes I obtained a couple of brief views but no pics. However, the best was yet to come. A couple of Ring Ouzels were present but typically elusive...initially. These large powerful Thrushes are a particular favourite of mine...to be honest I like ALL variations of this family.

Eventually the two birds gave themselves away in spectacular fashion. The only negative being they were in the shade...




A top experience.

I returned to the Quay and back to St Mary's in an increasingly strong wind...

The only Osprey I saw today!



To finish off the Thrush theme I had 15 minutes at Porthcressa before returning to the Flat...just in case there was another late result? There wasn't but I did have time to photograph one of the local Song Thrushes. The Iconic Bird of the Islands...

They're extremely tame!


Gale force forecast tomorrow morning. Time for another Seawatch I feel. There are now probably TWO AMERICAN BUFF-BELLIED PIPITS on St Mary's. Gives me twice the chance of seeing...one!?

Trip Total 55 species

No comments: