Tuesday 25 October 2022

Scilly 22 - Day 12

The pm forecast looked grim, so we set out early for a walk around our favourite part of the Island...the Garrison. On the way up I stopped to check out the Sycamores...

As we reached the Star Castle Hotel, I had a scan, while Louise took in the spectacular view...yet another...

St Mary's harbour and beyond

Samson, Bryher and Tresco

I picked up half-a-dozen Swallows below us. I wonder? I couldn't see a Red-rumped. A couple approached us, it was Simon Slade and his wife. Another old acquaintance renewed! He'd also been scanning the Swallows with no luck. Mind you Barn Swallows on October 25th is notable in itself! We continued our walk around the magnificent headland...

St Agnes in the distance



As we passed Lower Broome Platform a message over the radio informed us the Red-rumped Swallow was indeed below Star Castle!! On arrival the bird was showing brilliantly around the base of the headland. Very difficult to "catch", at least for me! I did grab one distant image that I BOC'd and cropped...


Just a bit of fun!

After a coffee I made the short walk to the Dump Clump to try for a Red-breasted Flycatcher. Things were a bit cosey with limited viewing. I eventually managed a typically brief snatch in thick cover before returning "home" to beat the rain. Still 2 decent birds within half-a-mile of the flat isn't to be sniffed at.

The rain closed in at Noon. I'm sure Birders are out there still...but I'm not one of them. Always honesty here! A restful afternoon in store before our last visit to the Atlantic tonight. Hopefully something "good" tomorrow? Cheers!

Trip List 79

No comments: