Sunday 23 October 2022

Scilly 22 - Day 10

Kept my promise to myself and made it down to Peninnis for 8...


Not a bad place to be... regardless!

Birders tend to go further down the slope but I wanted to remain "with signal" so I set up higher. The light wasn't great as the headland faces South but using a large rock I was able to remain in the shadows, at least for a while.

I managed (at last) to view 3 distant Great Shearwaters! This Year has been exceptional for them around Scilly...hence another Tick. I also had a close on Arctic Skua which was again a long overdue Scilly tick. Around 8.30 Dick Filby appeared and came over for a word. "Seen much"? he inquired, I told him my modest haul and he replied by saying he'd seen a few dolphins. I thanked him for his help yesterday afternoon and stated what a great experience it was, that having watched the PALLID SWIFT at such great distances, for it to end up flying around our heads was amazing! He agreed. I've always liked Dick, straightforward, helpful and no nonsense. My type of guy.

I then got a message off Louise asking where I was. I told her and she said she'd come down. I retreated to a nearby bench and waited. I decided to set my 'scope up and to my surprise I found it easier viewing, even though I was further away! I immediately started seeing more GS. Over the next hour or so I "had" around 50!! I was chuffed things had finally worked out after my early marching. I DO like Peninnis though. Whilst on the bench I added Merlin and Peregrine! Louise then left for the Flat but I remained  hoping to make the most of the morning before the forecasted rain.I walked back slowly down King Edwards Road hoping that some migrants might come my way. I soon picked up a flock of Fieldfares (c30) in the shadows...


I've looked for Skylarks down here on many occasions over the Years and never found any, so I was pleased to find a flock of 6 in a ploughed field just before a Sparrowhawk flushed them. Next a large flock of Chaffinches numbering at least 150. I checked them thoroughly but no Brambling, unfortunately. An excellent morning.

After the predicted rain shower I made my way around 2 towards the Airport. This would be my first visit to the area; a planned visit due too their being no flights on Sunday. A Richard's Pipit had been reported. It's yet another stiff climb but I made it OK only to find out the bird wasn't present on arrival..


It didn't show in the following couple of hours but there were some other birds present, including the odd sight of 15 Ringed Plover on the tarmac...


There was also a Turnstone with them! Three Snipe flew over, a sighting I definitely wasn't expecting. My first of the Trip. A few Dog walkers came and went, which moved the birds around but the target bird didn't show. A lone Golden Plover was a bonus...


As I was leaving a familiar face from the past was walking towards me. It was David from the Wirral, another Scilly stalwart, as I am, I guess! In the early "noughties" I used to bird Scilly with David and his pals Ian and Richard. They helped me familiarise myself with the Islands and I gained some valuable logistical knowledge tagging along with them. It was great to see him again. I gave it another half an hour with him at the Windsock before we returned to Hugh Town reminiscing. It was also pleasing that the BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER waited for him. As a previous fellow "Teacher's week" regular, I know only to well the "will it stick till I get there" feeling!!!

The PS disappeared soon after leaving its roost on the Garrison. I know we can all get overly excited about weather patterns BUT the system for mid-week does look promising...

Trip Total 76

No comments: