Tuesday 4 October 2022

Blind Side

Just thought I'd share a rather bizarre incident from yesterday afternoon. I'd took Louise to Hull for a Hospital appointment, followed by a liquid lunch. As we were returning home down Seaside Road I spotted a bird sat in the hedge, right by the Road. I stopped the car as it was a Buzzard which I thought she might want to see. I had my bins and camera with me but expected it to fly off. It didn't. In fact, it never moved at all!!!? I have never been so close to this Species.

Making the most of this situation, I took a  pic...


25'

Another car came down the road so we had to move on. The Buzzard was still there as we left. On returning home and looking at the photos, it became apparent what the reason for this situation was! Maybe it was deaf also?


It's still quiet...VERY Quiet! Although, I did "have" a Chiffchaff and a Willow Warbler in some scrub at Intack this morning despite the strong wind...


All the House Martins have now departed. A walk up the lane before the rain produced a surprise in the form of a trio of baby Deer on the Hall lawn...

Phone crop of two

Another LANCEOLATED WARBLER found on Shetland this afternoon. An annual occurance "Up North" along with PALLAS'S GRASSHOPPER WARBLER and PECHORA PIPIT. I still "need" LW for Britain and I didn't get lucky on last September's trip to Shetland you may recall? I have to be honest here (as always...hopefully) and state that personally, it's just a bird to (hopefully) get out of the way...eventually. I've been hoping for another mainland occurrence for quite some time now! One down the road would be VERY handy! I missed the Filey bird in 1994 due to work commitments. Just shows how difficult it can be to "get one back"...depending on your circumstances of course. A fortnight on North Ronaldsay one Autumn should crack it, might even sneak a SIBERIAN BLUE ROBIN!!!

My thoughts are now turning to the Fortunate Isles with just over a week to go. The dilemma is, as always, no-one knows where the little treasures will turn up? I'm reluctant to speculate too much for fear of putting "the mockers" on my plans. A loooong trip North or an early visit SW isn't ideal. There ARE some promising Westerlies this week?


For me, a couple of weeks looking for an American bird in fantastic scenery with easy access, close proximity and great facilities, will do me just fine...regardless...

No comments: