Thursday 31 March 2022

BTG - Record Count

I awoke yesterday to a message from dedicated LDV Patch Birder Duncan Bye, informing me that the Black-tailed Godwit flock (most of it anyway) that had been on the refuge at Wheldrake had visited NDC the previous evening.

I HAD to travel this morning. Not forgetting the chance of...you know what?

I arrived at 10. It was a cold, grey and wet day. The perfect day for a long sit...if a little fresh. I was wrapped up and prepared for a "Big Sit" for a few hours.

Visibility wasn't great and the far side of the reserve was difficult viewing. I couldn't see any Godwits... initially. Then I noticed a large smudge of birds way off to the NW...

3/4 of a Mile

They were present!!

It was impossible to count them BUT there were...a lot! I can only recall seeing one previous three figure flock here over the years (35). From memory that flock numbered around 120. I moved down to Garganey Hide.

Eventually the birds had a stretch and I was able to get some pics...



Probably a sight never to be repeated?

I had a go at counting (not something I usually do but this was special...to me) and made it 346 (give or take one or two!). Glad I made the effort doesn't cover it! They flew high North at 12.15.

Alas no Garganey in 4 hours but it didn't seem to matter today. Especially when another smaller flock of (81) dropped in a 1 briefly, before also continuing North. So, 427 birds in total!!! The horrendous weather didn't seem to matter now. I left for home at 2 with a large grin. Definitely a day to remember.

The day was enhanced further with news that ALBERT had returned to Bempton. Odds on he would but I didn't think it would be so early? Fantastic news though. The RSPB better get the shop stocked up.

No comments: