Saturday 12 March 2022

Drake Smew - third time lucky

I received a message late last night from Eich Hediger (many thanks) informing me that the target bird had returned to Watton NR. That was the green light to return early this morning. I retraced my steps along the West side of the Barmston drain arriving on site at 9.34...


I like situations like this. The prospect of a top bird but laced with uncertainty? I started to scan...again.
Handy that I'm looking for a gleaming white bird...albeit diminutive! Similar fayre on show with some cracking male Goldeneye on offer. The Wildfowl was active with much movement around the two pools. Then, there he was....Magic! I had him in view for a couple of minutes as he swam strongly left. Then...he disappeared?

I was happy to wait but I started to summize that he may have flown off or be hidden in the reeds? It was now gone 10 and still no sign. Then at 10.10 as if by magic he was BACK! He was too far away for my camera so I decided to try some basic hand-held  digiscoping as I'd given my 'scope a rare outing.

First attempt...

c100 yards

Eventually I managed a half decent shot...


I gave it till 11 and the Star Bird was still on show as I left. So, another success in my Quest to see some quality Species this Year. However, my plans going forward will definitely be curtailed somewhat, due to the extortionate hike in Fuel prices!!! No comment...

Wheatears and Sand Martins reaching Yorkshire on the favourable Southerly winds. Must be a good chance of beating my earliest records which are both March 20th!

No comments: