Tuesday 29 March 2022

Lancashire Nostalgia

After a nice day with my Mother on Sunday, I headed for Samlesbury, Preston early Monday morning, hoping to fluke a view of the BK from the bridge over the River Roach (there was a film with a similar title, many moons ago). After a marvellous Latte and Bacon sarnie combo at Greggs, I arrived at 7.30. After a stroll with the lad I made my way down to the bridge and waited...

Good views both ways...


It was typically dull/dank but the air was fresh and clear. It reminded me of my youth when I used to stand on bridges over this very same River in Bury. Almost immediately I saw a Dipper...another one of those "haven't seen for quite a while" species...






Cracking little birds full of life and character...


They were around the whole morning, flying over the bridge, perching in trees...

and landing in various spots along the River...


Also present was its "habitat mate"...

Grey Wagtail

Nest building

There were also a pair of Coal Tits nesting in a wall...

No sign of the BK though. My pal from Papa Westray, Douglas Bowker had seen it above the Weir the previous week, so there was a faint chance...

An Oystercatcher flew over which was a surprise. A few Birders came and went as they made their way to "the field". Those I spoke to said the bird was present most of the time...but distant. I wasn't interested in that strategy I was going to stick it out till Noon. I didn't get lucky but it didn't matter, especially with the cracking, prolonged views I got of the Dipper pair.

A builder who was working near by told me a few stories of the pandemonium which ensued when the bird was first located here. Apparently it was a mudbath and cars were parked all over the shop, blocking the road and the police had to be called. Thankfully things settled down eventually. At £10 a time the Farmer has collected a tidy sum!

.......................................................................................

This morning's stroll along the cliffs to the North started VERY well when I came across my second Black Redstart of the Year at the end of Seaside Road. After the brief glance I got of the first one, it was nice that this one lingered for a while enabling me to get some photos...




Still no Wheatear...no matter...

The evening's stroll failed to produce another sighting of the BR...and still no Wheatear! However, another surprise was in store in the form of a decent flock of Golden Plover (H.75) in the plough between the Pill Boxes. They gave an impressive display zooming around in a tight flock both low and high over the field. Fairly distant in the gloom...


...but very pleased with this grab on one pass...


A blow up of another image revealed the flock to consist of 123 birds. I always underestimate!

No comments: