Friday 1 April 2022

BTG to BBA

After yesterday's blizzard conditions the wind had dropped and the skies had mercifully cleared somewhat this morning. A walk North produced nothing...and I mean nothing!

I decided to take a trip up the Coast to (hopefully) see my old friend at Bempton. I arrived around 11 to news that he's flown out to sea. I decided to walk to the Northernmost viewpoint and slowly work my way South hoping he would return. I was very confident he would, it was just a matter of when...and where?

This is the earliest date I've ever been to Bempton and I hope I wasn't going to look a fool (see what I did there!). Auks were conspicuous by their absence although I did spot 3 Puffins and a scattering of Razorbills on the sea. Plenty of Gannets...


and Kittiwakes...

Gentle expression

...around but by no means the full compliment yet. It was still pretty fresh but apart from an isolated shower the sky remained clear...

Looking North to Filey Brigg

Also, there wasn't that many there (understandably) which made viewing easy. Hopefully that would pay off later? I enjoyed watching the Gannets playing in the wind and a couple of Peregrines kept the Kittiwakes on their toes...


Then mid-afternoon I got the news I'd been waiting for...

E.Yorks BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS ad 2.40pm Bempton Cliffs RSPB on cliff at Staple Newk Viewpoint

As I approached the New Roll Up viewpoint I could see a small group of Birders training their scopes on the Cliff. This was good...and bad news. The Superstar was in view but very distantly on the cliff below Staple Nook, with no view from the actual viewpoint...


A kind chap let me have a look through his scope. I decided to walk up to Staple Newk anyway hoping he would have a stretch around the arch as he had done on a regular basis previously. The viewpoint wasn't too crowded, so I found a spot and waited. Around 3.15 a familiar face appeared, was Tony Dixon from Bridlington. It was good to see him. Being local, he'd already re-acquainted himself with Albert. We had a good chat but by 4 I'd had enough. This turned out to be one of my better decisions as he was still sat there at dusk!!


Nothing could diminishes the gravitas of this record...no matter how many times I visit. As someone once said..."I'll be back"...


...and so will he!

No comments: