Monday 15 November 2021

Melted Kingfisher?

A bit of light relief on a dark November evening...

As you know I've "had a go" at the ghostly BELTED KINGFISHER of Preston on more than one occasion. So have many others but there have been NO confirmed sightings...from Birders? The sightings have been from fishermen. There's an inconclusive photo and a video apparently (which I haven't seen). A genuine error? Don't get me wrong...I'd rather things were "flagged up" than suppressed, although it can lead to wasted expense of time and travel.

I saw a report of some unfortunate chaps injuring themselves scaling the steep slopes of Redscar Wood. Access obviously an issue and some areas private. However, I find it hard (impossible) to believe no-one has seen this bird over the recent period? Yes, it can be wide ranging BUT I've seen plenty in the States and they are conspicuous when present. It's not a small bird (14" in length with a 2' wingspan). It also has a loud distinctive call. The repeated cycle of...report - search - negative news...doesn't inspire confidence...does it? Decent numbers of Birders searched significant adjacent areas all afternoon on Sunday. The only conclusion I can come to is...it wasn't there in the first place.

Hope I'm wrong...I really do!!!

 

No comments: