Saturday 6 November 2021

TAIGA FLYCATCHER - Yorkshire 398

Our first Saturday on Scilly...October 16th. News finally broke on a probable from back in Yorkshire...

2.35pm MEGA E.Yorks TAIGA FLYCATCHER Flamborough Head on cliff below Fog Horn Station

My mind was taken back to late April 2003...yes, I can still remember that far back! I'd just returned from another fabulous Texas experience when this species was mooted. I (and many others) had never heard of this species? I was shattered after my return journey so a combination of fatigue and uncertainty about the record meant I missed it. I've regretted it ever since. So news of this bird made me smile in a slightly resigned manner. I certainly wouldn't be going for it! It wasn't seen the next day.

That was that then...or so I thought.

Fast forward to November 4th...

2.28pm MEGA E.Yorks TAIGA FLYCATCHER Flamborough Head at South Landing on east side of wood

Blimey!!! Unbelievably I had another chance! It was a poor afternoon weather-wise and I'd have been trying to negotiate the joys of traffic through Bridlington. I reluctantly declined the attempt from Withernsea Tesco! It was going dark by 4pm which made me slightly more relaxed. All I could do was hope it remained overnight although the forecast of a clear night and low temperatures didn't inspire confidence.

Thankfully news broke at 7.26am...the bird was still present!!! I spent two sessions with the bird and I eventually got my pics, although it remained in shade throughout...




Plenty of familiar faces present and a good atmosphere throughout. Phil joined me after lunch and got his Lifer. Redemption after 18 years for yours truly.

***There seem to be different theories as to whether this is the same...or a different bird? For me...the chances of two different birds of this extreme rarity turning up at the same location, pushes the bounds of probability too far. It was elusive and could disappear for significant periods, backing up the "same bird" theory, as there were plenty looking. Less leaves as the Autumn progresses helps locate birds.

Remarkably one of the assembled admirers found a Red-flanked Bluetail around 100 yards away! A nice bonus but again difficult to view well as it was very active in deep cover...a record shot...just!




This morning I received a message from Gavin informing me he'd found a flock of Snow Buntings South of the Sewage. Always a pleasure. That was the dog walk sorted. I mentioned it to a neighbour and he joined me. No sign on the way out but on our return I spotted them bobbing away over the stubble. They then flew out onto the beach, even landing on the beach briefly...




I hope to complete my VARIED THRUSH trip report tomorrow...

No comments: