Saturday 9 January 2021

Context

Today it was back to sunshine. A wonderful crisp, still Winter's day. The day started well when I spotted two Mistle Thrushes (P.51, H.50) flying high across the field on Seaside Road. Curiosity got the better of me and I headed South to Old Hive to see if the Black Redstart was still present. Unfortunately the little gem had moved on. The two Stonechats were still present. 

Richard has also decided to make this spot his chosen exercise area. He informed me he'd flushed a Woodcock on his way down! I managed only a Red-throated Diver (P.52, H.51) on my return. Richard had carried on South to Cliff Farm. I then received a message off him informing me he'd seen 24 Snow Buntings to the South of the Farm.

It was now time to score a few points with a few jobs around the house! Late afternoon and it was time for the Tesco run. As I passed the Sewage I noticed a distictive flock heading purposefully South. Lapwings (P.53, H.52) ...thirty eight of them. After a blank last year this was a significant and satisfying sighting. Patch Birding in a nutshell. I also saw my first covey of Red-legged Partridges (P.54, H.53).


No comments: