Sunday 5 January 2020

Wild Goose Chase

The old ones are the best!?

The family walk at Skeffling this morning produced distant but prolonged views of a juvenile Hen Harrier.

Early afternoon found me down at Sammy's Point walking west towards Skeffling. It's unusual to have decent flocks of various species of Geese in the area, so I wanted to make the most of it. I bumped into Lance Degnan who was on his way back to the car park and wished him a Happy New Year. He told me the flocks were still present so I continued below the flood bank. A flock of small birds flew from the stubble to the nearest bush. Yellowhammers...I counted 52! Very encouraging.


The first Geese I came across were White-fronted (44)...


Next came Pink-footed (50)...
 
 
...and then the Tundra Bean Geese (7)...
 
 
A wonderful afternoon in the winter sunshine. On y return walk I bumped into another Yorkshire stalwart Karl Dutton. More Happy New Years and then home for the Merseyside Derby...
 
 

No comments: