Sunday 15 December 2019

UAE 19 Review (3)

Ras Al Khor




This superb reserve is slap-bang in the middle of Dubai. It's not everyone's cup of tea for a relaxing get-away-from-it-all experience BUT I did find it a positive experience...surprisingly!

There are three hides but Mangrove is by far the best. Music and air-conditioning to boot! Great for close views of Herons, Egrets, Spoonbills and Ibis...


Another trying to be an Indian Pond Heron (which I still can't nail)...


An interesting lack of buff on this bird (maybe the light?)

Spoonbill...


Now then...4 Egret possibilities!

Western Reef Heron...


Great...


Little...


...and...a slight possibility of Intermediate. Taking advice from local experts at the moment!

So two more ID challenges for me...three if you include LONG-BILLED PIPIT/Tawny Pipit. More on that later in a Wamm Farm post.

On ebird I AM sure of is this beast...PALLAS'S GULL (I prefer GREAT BLACK-HEADED)...more dramatic!


The bird was only thirty yards away by the pumping station...brilliant!!! My UAE contacts Tommy (Pederson) and Oscar (Campbell) both informed me this is an early date for the species, which was the icing on the cake!

Loving the new ID challenges that another part of the world offers. Not too many...just enough to make it a meaningful extension to my totals. The light and heat (yes, still warm for a Northern European) are a challenge but on the positive side I feel like I've got a new pair of bins!!

Definitely a site to return too...

Nice backdrop!

No comments: