Monday 9 December 2019

STELLER'S EIDER - Reflections

I've three hours to kill in the Stromness Ferry Terminal waiting room, so I thought I'd start a review of my trip.

I reckon I'll have covered 5 days by the time I get home. Thanks as always to my wonderful wife. As you say Tim..."she's a bloody saint"! The strategy worked perfectly. The result, less so. The experience was fantastic. I met some friendly and very interesting people and enjoyed some spectacular scenery. The Hostel was great, thoroughly recommended...


Also on reflection, I may possibly have pushed a little too hard recently!! UAE, Scilly, Orkney. Silly old sod. Still, got to pack it in as I don't know how long I've got! As an ex-sportsman I do and I guess always will enjoy the challenge of a twitch...for the "right" bird.

Bad luck (excuses)
Horrendous weather ( much worse than was forecast) - no doubt the worst I've twitched in. Even worse than the Siberian Rubythroat in Shetland... and that's saying something! Two days of strong Westerlies pummeling the bay the bird was most faithful too. I was chewing the hail and surf!


One EIDER in the right spot, just the wrong species. A cruel twist of fate. Never presume/assume. I felt I didn't but suggestion through circumstance is very powerful. I may have mentioned that before!

Muck Boots are brilliant but not on wet rock...I found out the hard way...plus...
Poor internet
Wet camera
Reading glasses broke
Bla de bla

I could have stayed till Wednesday BUT the weather is deteriorating lol! Gale force on the way!!



Good luck
Great support from people who matter, duly noted.
Country innovations coat definitely waterproof and thoroughly recommend.
Camera dried out...thankfully.
I DID see YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO and HERMIT THRUSH... two out of three and all that.

For the future
Although I did take a step back and share the image with friends before making my flawed ID, I may take more care next time. It's a tough call? Hindsight and all that. I learn better from mistakes.

As expressed many times before, I don't profess to be an ID Guru (you've probably sussed that already) , I just enjoy this wonderful pastime at all levels. I don't have an ego so I don't get concerned about mis-identification. I just try my best, that's all you can do. Sitting here now all relaxed it's easier to see the salient points of the ID. When your adrenaline is rushing and you're exhausted with limited resources... less so.

Just took my Stugeron, so hopefully all good for the crossing? It's still lively out there. I'm no Sea Dog.

I feel the story on this bird isn't over. If it is to continue for me, it may be a Happy New Year...



5 comments:

jimbryce200@hotmail.com said...

THANKS FOR BEING YOU, AN HONEST AND DEPENDABLE BLOG

Alan Whitehead said...

Cheers Jim. Very much appreciated!

Steve L said...

An honest and balanced assessment as always. Apologies on my part, I confess to being pre-occupied watching the Foxes stuff the Villa and only glanced at the pic; those double bars did jump out at me though. As you say you may have lost the battle but not the war with this one.

Alan Whitehead said...

No problem Steve. Thanks for the kind words pal. I should have cleaned my glasses! Maybe we'll see it together in the New Year?

Steve L said...

Sounds like a plan.