Wednesday 24 April 2019

Texas 19 - taking a breather!

By the wonders of modern technology I'm posting from Junction on I10 NW of Kerrville.

Thunderstorms this morning of the 24th. I'm looking for the wonderful Varied Bunting at Easter Pageant Hill. They were present here last year but I'm possibly slightly early? I arrived at dawn and have it an hour but the rain has set in for the moment, hence the time to catch up...of sorts.

So I thought I'd do a quick summary of my Hill Country visit so far.

Lost Maples proved unsurprisingly quiet during my mid-afternoon visit. Wouldn't it be great to be everywhere in the morning!! I did add...

Inca Dove
White-tipped Dove (local and elusive)
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Carolina Chickadee
Black-throated Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Chipping Sparrow
Rufous-crowned Sparrow
Olive Sparrow (heard)

On reflection not a bad haul especially when I add on a breif but spectacular visit to the feeder of a Scott's Oriole!!!

The main target was my nemesis Audubon's Oriole, which is present. I will return on Thursday... early!

Yesterday was a day with Martin Read. An ex-pat who's been in Texas for nearly 30 years. He knows his stuff! He took me to some top sites and we saw some great birds.
I'll do a full write-up on return with pics.
Highlights were...

Hooded Oriole
Vermilion Flycatcher
Painted Bunting
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Great Kiskadee

It was great to learn new things with him, especially regarding "the Sparrows". We had a laugh taking birds and footy. Thanks Martin.

Got to go now...it has stopped raining...

No comments: