Wednesday 10 April 2019

HAWFINCH - Garden tick!!!

As said...many times before etc etc...Birding always turns up a surprise to punctuate the sometimes long periods of...mundane searching! Still enjoyable though?

On Monday morning I got a message from Richard informing me he'd seen a HAWFINCH in his garden!!! His second record. He said he'd let me know if it re-appeared. I got dressed and made my way into the kitchen. As I opened the fridge I had a glance (as I do every morning) at my feeders. Tree Sparrows everywhere (very fortunate), House Sparrows (8), Goldfinches (6), Chaffinch (6), Robins (4), Dunnocks (5), Wren, Great, Blue and Long-tailed Tits, Wood Pigeons (4), Collared Doves (2), Magpie, Blackbirds (4), Starlings (2). Busy, busy.

HANG ON...What's that big lump sat on the branch by the fat ball feeder?!!!!! Well...blow me down (or words to that effect) I said to Louise! I grabbed my camera and fired a few shots off through the kitchen window...


A HAWFINCH in my tiny yard. Dreamlando! Stephen my neighbour had just returned form Northants after looking after his Mother. I went round and told him of my special visitor, I also messaged Richard. Soon all three of us were enjoying superb, prolonged views of this superb Finch.

A moment as good as ANY twitch for me.

I'd strategically split seed in my plant pots and troughs? Fortunately it took a liking to the food and hopped around happily. It also spent time on the ground amongst the gravel. Quite a sight. To see this species hopping around with the Robins, Dunnocks and Chaffinches was amazing! The size difference was significant.


After Steven and Richard had left I got ready to take Bud out and the star bird had disappeared. Louise had a lesson in Easington. She dropped me off and I had a mooch down the road towards Sammy's. There had been a report of a GOSHAWK but I figured it would have "gone straight through". I was wrong!

News came over the radio that it was flying along Green lane towards Easington Church. I was now by the Cemetery. I scanned to the West. Crows and Gulls...GOSHAWK!!! (Spurn Life 307...if accepted of course). The bird was travelling steadily North and soon disappeared behind some trees.
What a record for Spurn! Lucky.

Early evening came and I was obviously looking for my special visitor but there was no sign. The around 6.30...it miraculously appeared again!!


The above photo was taken through the window (as they all were) at 6.55pm, just before it went to roost.

I was woken on Tuesday morning around 7am by Louise with the news that the HAWFINCH was still present!!! Simply amazing.

It didn't stay long and wasn't seen again up until 9am when I took Bud a walk. No sign at lunchtime, so I thought, that was that? Retuning home around 6pm to make the good lady's meal...there it was again!


I was being spoiled. Whilst not being reliable, it kept showing up.

Despite a prolonged vigil this morning there has been no sign of the bird.

A fairly regular migrant down the road BUT to see one in my garden was obviously VERY special indeed and something I will cherish forever!

No comments: