Thursday 18 April 2019

Texas 19 - Day 4

Started at a leisurely pace down the East end of the Island at Apffel Park, where after a decent wait, I managed to SEE a singing Sedge Wren...



After a coffee we returned to meet Lorna around 11. When I found her she was photographing a beautiful group of "fresh in" American Avocets...


Simply stunners...




Another bird had caught her eye...and mine...


Just WOW!!! I may have mentioned before this is my favourite Egret!

Where next then? We decided on a return to Corps Woods at the eastern tip of the Island. A Painted Bunting had been reported, another favourite. It seems I have quite a few!! The eBird report had the bird at a feeder but our previous visit there was no sign of any? We found seed on the ground and this was attracting a decent group of Indigo Buntings (c15) and some Blue Grosbeaks. No sign of the PB though. We bumped into  local lady visiting during her lunch hour. She knew of no feeders? After another circuit she informed us she'd found a path through the trees. We took it and sure enough we reached a platform overlooking some well stocked feeders?! A couple from Manchester who now live in Dallas had seen the bird. As we were chatting (very quietly) the bird appeared feeding on the bird-magnet mulberry bush. Another stunner I think you'll agree.


Then someone turned a red light bulb on...


Yes, the Scarlet Tanager really IS this red!!!

We then travelled west down Stewart Road checking out some eBird hotspots. My main target was Upland Sandpiper but it wasn't to be. We did find numerous White-tailed Kites (my first of the trip) including this distant resting pair...



As you can see the sky was starting to "fill in". A storm is brewing...tremendous!!! Fortunately it hadn't arrive yet enabling us to make a few more stops. 8 mile road produced a few more Duck ticks...Fulvous Whistling, Gadwall and Shoveler. I also had my first Lark Sparrow...

I think my little camera did well here!
Three more American Oystercatchers were seen.We then headed for Lafitte's hoping that the deteriorating weather would drop some stuff in. It did. The light was grim but there were birds everywhere! Hardly any Warblers (I added Common Yellowthroat) but lots of Orioles and Buntings. I saw at least half-a-dozen Baltimore Orioles and more than 20 Orchard...and yes we saw some more Painted Buntings albeit briefly. Everything was flighty. I managed to grab a pic of a distant Baltimore...


What will tomorrow bring? Stay tuned...

Trip Total 124

No comments: