Saturday 27 April 2019

Texas 19 - Quest for my second target

A down and up day today...the best kind!

Met Adam Archer and his wife Nadia at Lafitte's Cove at 7.30. Great to see them both. Guess you could say they were looking forward to another amazing days Birding on the island.

I'd earlier been to Settegast Road to look for my Bobolink. Yesterday there'd been around 20 here which is an unusually high number for this elusive passage migrant. There is a narrow window of opportunity...I just hoped I hadn't missed the boat. We arrived back in Galveston at 11pm last evening but I was up at 6 and keen to connect. After all it had been 19 years!!!

I gave it 45 minutes before I met Adam and Nadia...no sign BUT I enjoyed stunning views of 3 Common Nighthawks feeding in the early morning light. Superb!

After an hour or so enjoying amongst others Chesnut-sided Warbler and Ovenbird I said goodbye to them as I was returning for Louise. I did have another quick scan on Settegast but still no sign. As I turned to leave Adam and Nadia were approaching! True Birders. I asked Adam to let me know if he found any.

Of course...he did!

Around Noon we returned to search again. I bumped into local Birder Greg Hall and that began an hour to remember, which I'll share in detail on my return.

They say a picture paints a thousand words...

Texas 470


No comments: