Wednesday 3 August 2016

Wood Sandpiper

News came through mid-afternoon of a Wood Sand' at Canal Scrape, Spurn. Ten minutes later I was enjoying reasonable views with Steve Exley and Ian Smith. The bird fed at the rear of the pool and was difficult to see well through the vegetation...
 
 
Always a good bird to catch up with during the year, they can easily slip by. I stayed around half an hour and we were joined by John Hewitt. During our chat he told me he'd also been down for the WPS on Monday. His group travelled down through East Anglia but he also commented on how long it takes to get to Minsmere. Worth it though. We swapped numbers and maybe we'll do one together in the future.
 
One more of the dapper Wood Sandpiper (P.152, S.134)...
 

P.S. Had an hour on the cliff this morning and added some way overdue Terns to the Village year list. I also had a couple of Whimbrel. This evening I heard then saw 4 more heading south offshore on the dog walk. Nice!

6 Curlew Sandpipers at Beacon Ponds this evening. Guess where I'm heading first thing...


 

No comments: