Friday 21 August 2015

S.E.Arizona (4)

23rd July

Wednesday started with a drive south to try and add a few Arizona ticks but also, just to see what we came across. We headed South again down the I19.

First stop was Rio Rico ponds. A good spot for Black-bellied Whistling Duck. It didn't dis-appoint...


I intended to try for Neotropic Cormorant at Amado Sewage pond but I missed the exit! On reaching exit 12 we turned right and headed west on Ruby rd. My intention was to try again for Rufous-capped Warbler in Pena Blanca Canyon. Firstly though we tried the adjacent lake. On the approach road I heard a now familiar call...yet another Gray Hawk. I got out of the car and the bird duly flew across the road and landed in a nearby tree. It only stayed a few seconds but I got it!


More noise and more raptors. This time a pair of young Cooper's. They weren't getting on to well...



they eventually settled...


I the left Louise at the trailhead at PBC and made the flat walk down to where I thought the RCW site was. I like to think I'm pretty good at remembering places I've been. Not today. I couldn't see anywhere that looked like the spot were we'd seen the BCG on the big day. Very frustrating but I would try again.

Of interest on the walk back was the discovery of a Black-headed Grosbeak sat on a nest...


On reaching the car a shower produced a nice rainbow...


On the way back to the motel we enjoyed one of many wonderful sunsets...



No comments: