Monday 24 August 2015

An excellent day...at Spurn!

Started early locally. Bursting to see all the Pied Flycatchers in the Village! Unsurprisingly this situation didn't materialize. I did however see a smart Whinchat ...


Enough of my laments about Holmpton but I will cherish my meagre pickings. I did get brief glimpses of a couple of Pied Flys but they were very unsatisfactory. I had to return home to meet a builder (who didn't turn up) so I did a bit in the back garden and saw 2 Garden Warblers. I must spend more time here, I thought!! Especially when a surprise Cuckoo flew South through the mist...


I decided to do a loop of the Village, maybe I'd find something further "inland". I'd taken my radio with me as a little experiment. When I first moved to Holmpton I was hoping I would have reception. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. I was delighted to find that now I have, which is a big plus. As I reached the main road news came through of a possible Red-footed Falcon at the point. This species used to be almost annual in Yorks during the 90's but is now much rarer. This was my cue to leave (I had given it 3 hours).

A walk to the point wasn't going to happen but I thought the bird might end up flying North...maybe? I decided to have a look down Sammy's Point. This was a good decision as it was bouncing. I've never seen as many birds in the bushes...it was fantastic! I met a couple of chaps on the way down who'd told me they'd seen a Wryneck just inside the gate, I didn't see it but the first bird was...yep...Pied Fly...


...and another...


..and so on...

Amazing...or is it?

I the spent the next couple of hours just walking the bushes enjoying the spectacle. As I reached the far end I spotted a fine male Redstart darting into a solitary bush. As I scanned the bush for another look I saw another bird in the centre...Wryneck!! I shouted to the nearby birders but it disappeared. A couple of younger birders joined me. One turned out to be Joel, who I twitched the SLATY-BACKED GULL with...now there's a story. It was great to see him again. They said they'd seen another at the North end of the Gas Terminal which had shown really well. After around 10 minutes Joel's mate picked it up on the far fence. again through the mist. I managed a record shot...


Phil was also down and we walked back to the car park together. There was a lot of debate over "the Falcon" at the Point. Unbelievably another bird had appeared at the back of Ian Smith's house! We were there in no time enjoying albeit distant views...


This pager message best sums up the Holmpton v Spurn situation...

200 Pied Flycatchers Spurn

Goodnight.

No comments: