Friday 19 April 2019

Texas 19 - Day 5

...the fall didn't materialize! "Don't expect anything then..."etc etc

Limited time tonight as we're saying goodbye to Lorna with a meal out at Brickhouse.

Brief highlights...

The day started well at Lafitte's with a couple of Soras on the grass by the car park at 7...


I was the only one there! It went downhill after that with serious T&L until I ran for the car at 10. After the inevitable coffee at La King's (very nice), I left Louise for some retail therapy and tried some spots on Pelican Island including a site for Great Kiskadee. No sight or sound I'm afraid. I also tried Kempner Park but the birds had avoided that as well! I did bump into Howard Smith, an ex-pat who'd lived in Texas for many years. Nice bloke...and he could understand me!

The afternoon saw us down at the West of the island trying out a few new spots including Dos Vacas Muertas and Point West water tower. I added Northern Waterthrush (2) to my trip list at the first site...


Hopping around in thick cover. Streaked throat.
...and a fine Summer Tanager was also seen at close quarters...


The Tower site yielded 3 Baltimore Orioles. A bonus considering the gusty wind...

Visible Migration!




A second stab at Lafitte's on the way back reinforced the "no fall" outcome but I did manage a female Painted Bunting, my first...

Blends in well!
Just a note on context. I've been a few times BUT I'm not an authority on range and occurrence...life's too short. However, I like to think I'm increasing my knowledge with each visit. Lets face it, when you're from an other continent, they're ALL great!
 
I was photographing a Grey Catbird in the Mulberry bush when a few birders raced over. "What ya got?" I told them. They were rather disappointed to say the least. One man's meat...
 
I liked it...
 
 
Trip Total 127
 

No comments: