Friday 9 February 2024

Cyprus 24 - Preliminary thoughts

I received an email yesterday informing me of a change in the Bird Sighting system. I was aware there was a WhatsApp group last year but never joined as I found the Google Groups information, coupled with messages from friends to be sufficient. Anyway I've joined now as it looks the Google Groups "avenue" is closing. I also received a message form Phil, informing me he'd just booked for the fortnight before we arrive! Looks like I won't be "in the dark" regarding arrivals!!

As you know I prefer to find my own but it's always re-assuring to have information, then you're not concerned about "missing something"! Just over 4 weeks to go now and with the continuing horrendous weather I thought I'd write an initial Post regarding my upcoming trip...to cheer myself up.

Checking eBird I discovered that this will be my 7th trip having been previously in 1995, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2023. The 95 trip was a family holiday. The 15 and 16 trips were one week visits in December and January respectively. The other 3 were 3 week Spring visits.

The best visit without question was 2018 (see history for details). I enjoyed the amazing sight of both CASPIAN PLOVER and CREAM-COLOURED COURSER on the same small piece of land (picnic area) at Mandria five days apart. Showing well doesn't cover it! I'll never forget returning there the morning after everyone had seen the CP to look for it. I drove slowly round the area for quite some time when it suddenly appeared right next to the car!!! Re-locating the CCC after following it along the Coast with Ian and Kate Bloomer was also VERY special.

Couldn't resist...



Images to brighten up yet another dull English Winter's Day. A couple of incredible Birds I think you would agree?

Most things are in place now including payments! We're staying in the same Apartment just West of Paphos which gives easy access to all Sites in the area and the (extremely quiet) Motorway to all points East.  

Every trip is different and I intend to mix things up more this Year. Obviously my knowledge of the key Sites increases with each visit, which in theory should save me some time. eBird will always be of use as well. The weather is another variable as always, I hope its not as windy as last Year especially for Louise's sake! She needs to be by the Beach Bar at Mandria...so do I come to that!

My Cyprus List stands at a modest 217 so there's still a chance of adding something to it.

As I look at the rain running down the window for the umpteenth time I'm counting the days (33) till we depart from Manchester. We'll get there. I hope you've got something to look forward to? We all need it...

Male Rock Thrush amongst the Cyprus flowers

No comments: