Sunday 2 July 2023

Half Time

Seems an appropriate moment. I needed a distraction after witnessing our second Ashes Test defeat. It's part of the "process"...apparently!? We need to "execute" better!!? How about just...winning!!!

So, some highlights and thoughts from the first half of 2023. A few numbers to follow, I'll admit! Some links clickable.

A couple of British ticks up the NE, namely STEJNEGER'S SCOTER and GREY-HEADED LAPWING...both "pending" of course. They would put me on 539 (541 really but I was a good boy during COVID missing Tennessee Warbler and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher).

My County List finally reached the magic 400 when an early trip to Scarborough on April 25th landed me Penduline Tit. The bird departing high West at 7.25am reinforced my decision to get there for dawn, despite the near freezing conditions!

My Village List increased by 4 to 192 with Glaucous Gull starting the Year of nicely on New Year's Day. A late evening dash to the Sewage fuelled by the local grapevine on April 17th finally added Hooded Crow. Into May and a quick response to another message on the 2nd bagged me a quality addition in the form of a fine PALLID HARRIER at Cliff Farm. However, my latest addition on the 19th was the icing on the cake, as I found a flock of 12 Bee-eaters in the Cliff Paddock. What dreams are made of.

I made one trip down the road to add Ring-necked Duck to my Spurn List bringing me to 319.

Duff netted me 5 new birds with a couple of long overdue "Acros", namely Reed and Grasshopper Warblers, Bar-tailed Godwit and a Willow Tit. The highlight though was my Squacco Heron re-find, after initially connecting at Bank Island which takes me to 165. Another dream moment. The York Area List increased further with news of a Black Kite near Elvington. Another late evening dash saw me connect with local help. A quality addition taking me to 236.

Then there was my wonderful Trip to Cyprus in March, which didn't disappoint. I added 12 Species here including some remarkable records. The stand out was the DIEDERIC CUCKOO (which I'd never heard of). A Twitch across the Island saw me eventually connect with the help of Matt Smith (thanks again pal). Other gems were...

Menetries Warbler (Rarity value if not looks)
Black-bellied Sandgrouse
Bar-tailed Lark
Mourning Wheatear

Also added...
Spotted Redshank
Broad-billed Sandpiper
Sanderling
Jack Snipe
Goshawk
Hume's Warbler
Savi's Warbler

Life List 217
Full report starts here

I think that's it. Other highlights included seeing (and hearing) Wood Warbler for the first time in many years in a beautiful South Yorkshire woodland. A trip up into the N.Y.Moors to see a Black-throated Thrush and a distant Goshawk in February was also notable.

So, hear's to the second half. I've given myself a team talk and I'm ready for what's to come. More than happy with the first half but the second half always promises more..?

No comments: