Saturday 29 July 2023

Pacific Golden Plover

The "quiet" spell continues? 

7.49: E.Yorks Pacific Golden Plover Spurn at the Warren

No time for Breakfast. A steady drive down the road, a sensible park and a stroll down to the gate. I passed John Hewitt who kindly informed me it could be viewed from there. Mick Turton and Frank Moffat were present and Frank soon had me "on" the Bird, albeit at distance. Martin Stanley, Ian Smith and Paul French were also in attendance.

It was with a large group of Eurasian GP and was roosting in the heat haze at around 200yds. Every now and again it would pop its head up revealing its distinctive "super". It also looked slightly smaller than the birds/blobs around it? Almost certainly the bird seen briefly previously.

After around 20 minutes it became obvious we weren't going to get a closer view, as the tide was way out. I returned to my car chatting with Frank about holidays and Burnley F.C. Very enjoyable. Richard appeared as I was leaving. News has just come through (11.46) that the flock has been flushed by a Peregrine. ASAP...as always!

My 321st Species for Spurn.

No comments: