Thursday 16 March 2023

Cyprus 23 - Day 1

Hello there! Phone post tonight.

Yes, we made it... eventually. An interesting "system" at Manchester airport meant we watched Louise's hand luggage move everywhere but forward for a check.. for a good FORTY minutes! 

Flight went great arriving 30 minutes early and a quick taxi to our temporary accommodation went well.

Today started with a stroll down to the Lighthouse here in Paphos while the boss has a lie-in...


As you can see the Coastal path is unfortunately fenced off this Spring for repairs. I did manage c6 Red-rumped Swallows amongst the Barns and House Martins. It was nice to stretch the legs after yesterday.

After a cracking "full English" I made my way down to the bus station to catch one to the Airport. Some more niggling logistical problems before I eventually made it. The hassle was rewarded by the arrival of a brand new hire car. Lovely!

After a Costa lunch we set off for Mandria to spend a few hours there just relaxing and seeing what would come my way.

It was good to see the old stomping ground again. Brought back some great memories from 17 and 18. Especially this area near the picnic site which produced the CASPIAN PLOVER and CREAM-COLOURED COURSER...


Unsurprisingly neither were present today! I did see 3 Isabelline Wheatears and a cracking Northern. I also came across a large Spanish Sparrow colony numbering well over 100. I have a few photos but no facilities until we move into our "proper" accommodation tomorrow. A situation caused by "yours truly" involving flight dates. Got me an extra couple of days here though!

A brief stop at Timi beach on the way back produced nothing of note. I was dismayed to see some "tidying" here. We then headed for our evening meal and an early night.

Some inclement weather forecast for the next couple of days which will hopefully liven things up a bit...



No comments: