Monday 20 March 2023

Cyprus 23 - Day 5

Where should I go Birding today? I know...how about just having a walk from the apartment along the front. This strategy had a dual purpose, as I was also doing a recce for Louise to enable her to hopefully get some exercise. After an iffy start I found the path that enabled Birding and exercise. The weather was more Cypriot today...


I walked a good mile to the rear of a Hotel we had stayed at previously during a Winter visit...

King Evelthon

Nothing of note seen on the outward leg. As I returned, I crossed a stream and a bird flicked by, then back again fortunately landing in view...

Common Sandpiper

A slight issue back at the Ranch meant she couldn't join me as soon as anticipated so I hung around a scrubby area next to the Venus beach Hotel. I soon picked up the sweet and powerful song of a Nightingale (unsurprisingly no pic'). Crested Larks were more in evidence, singing in the sunshine...


Then I picked up what was definitely a Warbler flitting about in a lone bush...but which one?...


Slightly clearer...


It then flew to a larger group of bushes and disappeared. Fortunately in March there are few people around so I placed myself to the side of the bushes and hoped it would return to the single shrub.

He then popped up on top and started belting it out...

 
He remained in the same spot for a couple of minutes...maybe enjoying the Weather...



I shall return.

The middle of the day was spent doing some necessary shopping (love it!?). We eventually found the good lady a camping chair...quite an experience! 

To relieve the stree we headed for Aspro' Dam for our packed lunch. We found a spot in the shade and relaxed. I then saw a Birder arrive, it was Jonathan Wasse again. Funny how Birders seem to keep meeting each other at these remote spots...not!

We had a walk to a clearing which gave us a great view over the Reservior and surrounding hills. We soon picked out some Alpine Swifts (c6), some giving great views over our heads.Then a cc Marsh Harrier.

A car then appeared along the track. It was Ian and Kate Bloomer. Yet more acquaintances renewed. Really great to see them both. They now live on the Island after previously visiting intermittently. I'll be picking their brains later!

Jonathan then picked up a large Raptor...way up high over the water...

Bonelli's Eagle


Another Species high on the "most wanted" list...notched! 

We finished off at Timi Beach were I added Black-headed Gull (a single bird flying West) to the trip list. A couple of Yellow-legged Gulls stopped by to preen on an offshore rock...


The day belonged to the Ruppell's though...


Love the pose and setting...hope you do too. BIG day out over the Eastside tomorrow...

Trip Total 57

No comments: