Thursday 30 March 2023

Cyprus 23 - Day 15

Better day today, although the wind was still strong in Paphos as I found out when I had a couple of hours around the Archeological Site as "The Boss" had a lie in after our "Indian in Cyprus" last night...very nice it was too. I do like a Chicken Tikka "How'syerfather"!

I covered what sheltered areas I could find but it wasn't pleasant and I found nothing of significance. I spoke to some other brave souls but they were struggling to find anything. No wonder.

Back to base for 10.30. Louise was waiting for today's plan. I felt today would be the ideal day to try for "The Vulture". The viewpoint at Kensington Cliffs is on a SE slope with decent vegetation, which should give some shelter from the continuing Northeaster?

Good old Google Maps (most of the time) gave a journey time of 50 minutes. A combination of GM and Gosney had us parked up by 12.15. I walked to the best spot (I've been before) gave it 30 minutes before returning for lunch. Nothing seen, except an exceptional view...


The Vulture side...


My balance isn't great these days...and I had to be...aware...


As we were dining... another "What's that"? from Louise. I got up, turned around and scanned... Griffon Vulture circling the Cliff in the distance. Nice timing!?

Back to it. Another 90 minutes...not a sniff. It was now 3pm and I needed a change. We headed for The Mall at the start of Lady's Mile. A quick Costa was needed. Louise has an hour in the Mall and I birded the North end of Lady's Mile...everyone was happy! A quick check of the first pool revealed 2 Gulls. One was a Yellow-legged, the other a Baltic...I think? I'm sure you can appreciate that the more challenging ID's need a little more chewing over than I have time for. Lack of experience of certain Species plus the incredible light (which can make Birds look completely different) combine to make errors more likely...especially from me...lol! Anyway...I'll stick my neck out...

Baltic Gull

I have a dodgy Lark and a Gull or two to discuss when I get home!

I drove the Mile...a while, then returned to Zakaki Hide after the coast had cleared (2 Bird Tour groups present). The Hide was now empty; I climbed the stairs, scanned and there was a Water Rail! A German couple joined me, the chap spotted a Warbler at the base of the reeds which then gave a distinctive reel. We both agreed we were watching a Savi's Warbler!

I picked Louise up from the Mall at 4.30 and returned to the Cliffs, for another crack at "The Vulture". It was now 5. I made my way back to the Viewpoint and I could immediately see a solitary bird surveying his domain...


Even at some 800yds the size of the Bird could be appreciated. I was going to give it till 6.15 to try and get a flight shot. As 6 approached there was no movement off the Cliff. Then I was rewarded for my patience...


Unfortunately the Cliff was in deep shade by now but I'm pleased I got "something". Time for "home".

Trip Total 123

No comments: