Wednesday 16 November 2022

Quality not quantity

Someone turned the Wildfowl tap off! There was still some movement but nothing like yesterday...which was spectacular...for here!

I don't lug my 'scope around these days. It's enough keeping my eye on Bud! So, I use my Trinnies and Lumix, which is fine by me. It's amazing what you can pick out with this "combo". For example this distant flock of Eiders (c 3 miles) can be picked out with 8x bins and recorded with the Lumix...

P.136, H.130. 

I saw 4 more later in the day. Returning along the Clifftop I received a message off Richard informing me he'd "had" a Great Crested Grebe off School lane, drifting North. Despite a good grilling of the waves I couldn't re-locate it. I did have an Oystercatcher fly directly over my head though...


After lunch I had another stroll down to the second pill. It was pretty quiet...until I spotted a couple of tiny "blobs" (technical term) that turned out to be a cracking pair of Goldeneye (P.137, H.131)...


An extremely satisfying record. Only my fourth and the first on the sea.

On my return I noticed a small group of Geese in an adjacent field...I'd possibly walked right passed them, although I prefer to think they'd just landed!? Whatever, they were there now. At first glance I thought PFG; I was surprised to find that they were Brents...



I finished off on the tarmac on Seaside were I added a long overdue Little Gull (P.138, H.132) Year Tick. I estimated 20 birds South. Some outstanding "context" sightings today.

Maybe November isn't so bad after all...

No comments: