Wednesday 9 November 2022

One of those days

Albeit after a late start due to the 20/20 Cricket which I'm NOT a great fan of to be honest! A terrific performance by Pakistan's openers and their Bowling attack. They sneaked into the Semi-final which made/makes them dangerous!

After a couple of errands I made it to "The Sewage" via Tesco for lunch. It was a bit...muddy with plenty of puddles! As I enjoyed my lunch I was already looking around the car park, as us Birders do. I've noticed an increase in Pied Wagtails locally, which lets be honest, just like Starlings and Blackbirds are easily overlooked. I try to be aware!

There were at least half-a-dozen walking around the puddles...and then...this...

Grey Wagtail (P.133, H.124)

Only my 5th record and by far my best views. I ironic on the day the demolition of the old Sewage Works is completed where I saw my previous 4 birds!

A couple more of this cracking individual...



I've just noticed the ring! A truly superb bird in somewhat inappropriate surroundings. Definitely brightened up an overcast Winter's day...even if it was incredibly mild?!

I then noticed one of the workmen closing up the fence. I walked over for a chat, as I was curious as to how the Site was going to be left. A "vested interest" you might say. He was quite a character from Eire and we had a good laugh for a good 20 minutes. The upshot is the fence and bushes are to be left, which is great news for this Birder.

We then walked South to the Llama Farm. I was hoping for Snow Bunting/s. Nothing but the usual loafing Gulls on the Beach on the way down. As we turned 6 Starlings (I noticed) came "in off" as they say and immediately started feeding. As I was approachng the car I could see a couple of fisherman's vans either side of my car. Bud wasn't going to like that! I decided to linger for a while and search some more. Glad I did as 3 Snow Buntings circled high above me for a good 5 minutes, nearly landing on one occasion before flying off South...



I think we can class these as "record shots"! A notable record though.

It was gone 3 now. Richard had sen a sizable flock of Pink-footed Geese to the South of the Village so I thought I'd have a drive down there before dusk. They tend to be mobile in the last hour. Sure enough, I soon picked a good number up by the bend on the road to Out Newton...


A concentrated count (for me) revealed c250 in view. I felt there were more further up the road. There were...


The undulating fields make it difficult to be accurate regarding numbers BUT this was a large flock, the largest I'd seen here. Probably between 800 to 1000 birds! A fine sight...and sound. The domino effect take-off then kicked in and the flock descended to the lowest part of the field...



As good a sight as any in Birding IMHO, hence the picture on my Header! As I was down "this  end" I drove up the hill to check out the far South of my elastic boundary. One of the (few) good things about Winter is the early sunset enabling "Owling" to be undertaken much sooner. My luck continued when a pair of Barn Owls appeared...

Taken at 4.27

To finish off an excellent "local" day a Tawny Owl glided past my car as I drove home down Seaside Road. All birds seen within a mile of my home. Can't complain and very grateful... 

No comments: