Friday 18 November 2022

4 and 20...and then some!

Change of scenery today with an early start to the South at Cliff Farm. Starting issues with the V70 have meant local movements have been restricted lately but I'm informed the problem was indeed the battery after all!?

As I drove slowly up the approach track I could see some Thrushes on the path. A couple were perched in a small isolated bush. Although it was only just light I could pick out a Redwing and a Fieldfare...

8.18





After parking I had a walk around the small pool...


...but no luck with any Snipe sp. A few Lapwings (7) drifted "in off"...


Bud had a stretch...


Then a russet Woodcock flew right over my car! Around 10 I decided to make a move as I had a few things to do. As I approached the Village I could see and hear a substantial number of PFG to the West. As I pulled over to let a car past, a small bird flew across the road in front of me, showing significant white in the wing. Snow Bunting!!! I wasn't sure how far it had gone but I took the Rysome Rd turn and scanned the field for 30 minutes but I couldn't find it. An excellent record though and my first away from the Cliffs.

Whilst I was searching it became apparent that there had been a significant arrival of Blackbirds (interestingly I didn't see any at Cliff Farm). A conservative estimate would be 100 in the adjacent hedgerows. As I drove to Ottringham along Snakey and beyond the bushes were filled with them. At least another 300 in the 3 mile stretch to Patrington. On reaching Ottringham they seemed to be in every garden. I've never seen so many in my 11 Years here. Visible migration par excellence!

Late afternoon I checked the Barn Owl site and sure enough both birds were performing well.

No comments: