Thursday 29 September 2022

Far and Wide plus Local Stuff

Infantries of Birders on Shetland now combing every habitat, on all three major Islands and some not so major. Good luck to all and sundry. No doubt some "crews" heading for Orkney, the Western Isles and Scilly. It's only a matter of time before the BIG 1 gets found. Where will it break? Who will find the Golden Nugget whilst Avian prospecting? Time will tell...

Two weeks before we set off SW for our annual sojourn. Obviously looking forward to it. If IT turns up on the Islands, that will be handy, if IT doesn't, so be it. There's always something to have a look at; the track record is rather impressive! 

Another personal anecdotes to accompany my NIGHTHAWK yarn. In 1996 I made a brief Twitch to Scilly during Half-Term to try for a BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER on Tresco. I arrived on Thursday October 25th. I took the inter-Island boat and made my way down the side of the Great Pool to the location. I was relying on local information (pre-internet and I didn't have a Pager). Incredibly I was on my own!!! The bird had been present for a few days but even so? I walked along the chosen path and there, feeding on a tree was...a BWW

Texas April 22

I also added BLACK DUCK. On the Friday I also scored with AMERICAN BUFF-BELLIED PIPIT on St Mary's. As I was leaving on Saturday morning news came through of a LITTLE BUSTARD on the Lizard which I managed to see before dark. A nice bonus. These are precious memories which tie me to Scilly. I'm content there. Hopefully there'll be some more magic this Year...



.......................................................................................

The last couple of days I've put the miles in for little reward. Good exercise though and a tired but happy Dog. Yesterday's walk North produced c10 Reed Buntings in the Runnel...



Just beyond the Runnel a couple of Stonechats played hard to get...




A couple of Yellowhammers on the way back were a bonus...


A flock of eleven Stock Doves on Snakey Lane mid-afternoon was a record count...



This morning produced another record count in the form of three Herons cruising South at 7.30. A Great Northern Diver (P.131, H.122) reasonably close, heading North was a FOY. A sinister looking cloud over Withernsea meant an early return...


 ...but not before I spotted a mixed group of Teal and Wigeon through the haze...


A drive up to Cliff Farm and a stroll down to Old Hive produced nothing of note, despite extensive coverage of the Copse...


As I was leaving along the track, I spotted a Buzzard by a hedge. I stopped the car, expecting it to fly off in the traditional manner...but it didn't? I then realized why. It was stood on its prey and was understandably reluctant to leave it. This situation enabled me to enjoy extended views of this fresh juvenile...


It did fly a short distance carrying its prey but this enabled me to get a parting shot from the road...

What a Beauty!

No comments: