Monday 26 September 2022

What's to come?

On an extremely quiet morning here at Homlpy I just thought I'd share a few thoughts with you regarding the remainder of the Autumn. You may or may not...and all that.

In less than 3 weeks we'll be making our way SW for 14 days on the Fortunate Islands. Hopefully it'll be a good Year? I say that every Year! September has been quiet Rarity wise, very quiet. However, we all know things can change and something always turns up, it's just a question of where?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (would I?), as previously stated, I won't leave Scilly but I WILL possibly chase before and after, as I did last Year, depending on Species. I was lucky... although determined...

My Utopia Twitch 1/11/2021

More here

As I was in 2013...

Cape May Warbler 29/10/2013

Again, more here

Ideally the BIG 1...or 2...will land on the Islands. I have to admit the thought of a long haul North doesn't enthuse me as the Years roll by. Best summed up as...Bleak. A chilled fortnight on Scilly connecting locally is my preferred/hoped for scenario. Alas, things rarely pan out as planned!

Having sampled Shetland for a week last year, I'm even more committed to Scilly than I've ever been. Let's just say it ticks all my boxes. If you're into Rarities I wish you well in your choices and hope you get lucky. You've heard all the "Pros and Cons" previously...more than once!

Ironically, as I complete this Post, the MEGA Alert has just sounded...

MEGA Oxon COMMON NIGHTHAWK juv Wantage 

Another one of my Top Ten encounters. Yet again...more here!

Mainland. This bird is sat on a fence apparently, so just a matter of getting there and waiting your turn. A tick but not a Stellar experience, I suggest? Still, it's a Tick for the younger/newer element. Hope that doesn't sound smug...its not intended to. Might be a bit of a queue!!!

I've witnessed this behaviour in Texas on more than one occasion. Here's one I saw earlier (in true Blue Peter style)...

Retillion Road, Bolivar Peninsular, Texas

Referring to my..."pays yer money"...Mantra, Many Birders have  gambled on Shetland, as I did last Year. You can sit at home waiting for the Alert or go on an adventure. I know which one I prefer. Mine starts on October 14th.

Que Sera Sera...

No comments: