Sunday 24 April 2022

Texas 22 - Day 11

It just had to be done...

Galveston/Bolivar Ferry

Afer turning down the MEGA Gull I planned to try for a couple at Bolivar Flats!? They are a tad nearer. I was going to try there first but after trying for a coffee at a place we'd been previously we decided to carry on and "do" High Island first. On the way I had a brief stop off at a grassy area I knew in the hope of another target. Grim photo into the sun, but top bird...

Upland Sandpiper

There were also nine Whimbrel present...my first.

Another grim one!

My target at HI was Wood Stork as mentioned previously. I didn't see it and the staff were perplexed by my enquiry despite several eBird entries? I always enjoy it here though, as the Rookery is something to behold...



...with nesting Egrets, Spoonbills etc...

Great Egret

There's a Roseate Spoonbill in here somewhere!





Another (yawn) special bird...only kiddin' is the beautiful Purple Gallinule. It's quite a skulker but in my 3 hour vigil for the Wood Stork it DID appear briefly...




The last couple of hours were spent at Bolivar Flats, another World Class Birding Site. The numbers of birds here can be quite overwhelming...



Species added here today included Black Tern...


Ring-billed Gull...


Wilson's Plover...



Semipalmated Plover
...


My mate was also there...

Reddish Egret

The Iceland Gull was a no show but by then...who cares!

Trip Total...160 species

No comments: