Friday 27 September 2019

EASTERN YELLOW WAGTAIL - A typical twitch?

I don't get many opportunities these days to travel for birds, so when I do I like to take them asap. You know my thoughts on provenance and taxonomy...nuff said, right?

The British List (BOU) now follows the IOC...so things have changed...slightly. eBird follows Clements but that's a story for another day. It has caused some personal listing issues though!

Why am I mentioning this? Well, one of the additions is EASTERN YELLOW WAGTAIL.

News came through on Wednesday of a possible on Anglesey at Cemlyn Bay. I gleaned what I could of the tinternet. The pics looked promising but no-one had heard it give the diagnostic call. What to do?

My thinking :-

I can go
It's on the mainland(ish)
It's a probable
Gets it out of the way!!

I drove to Hartshead Services for 8 and waited...

09.53 Anglesey probable Eastern Yellow Wagtail 1w still 9.30am Cemlyn

Onward!

10.58 No further sign of probable Eastern Yellow Wagtail...

Time for lunch at Birch Services.

11.54 It's back!

The North Wales coast road is much improved these days and I mad good time to the Menai Bridge and over onto Anglesey. I arrived at Cemlyn Bay at 3pm thanks to my excellent phone Sat Nav. It was rather breezy! I got my gear and dog together and headed down the shingle bar. I could see some figures in the distance but the first group were walkers, one of whom informed me to watch out for the caterpillars on the path! I told Bud.

The next group were twitchers, one being Fred Fearn and another Al Orton. I asked them if they'd seen it and they said no as they'd just arrived themselves. We gave it 30 minutes of scanning the field opposite (in a VERY strong wind) before returning to our cars. We then joined the other group scanning the fields from a farm road.

The viewing was difficult...long grass, strong wind and undulating terrain.

Then at 3.52 a shout went up..."Wagtail on the fencepost"! Amazing really, considering the conditions. There it was, albeit distantly (c100 yds)...

It was better through the scope!

Brutal crop
I reckon it stayed there for around 90 seconds before dropping behind the fence. It wasn't seen again before I gave up in the worsening weather at 5.30.

I'm not going to harp on about sonograms and DNA (you'll be pleased to hear) suffice to say I've seen it and let's see what comes out in the wash...."pending" as they say.

The thrill of the chase is still with me and always will be I guess. If I'd arrived after 4.30 there would have been nobody there as everyone left after this sighting. Not a good scenario. One or two were mooching around as I departed and it was reported again so maybe I would have connected? Just glad I did. Saved me from a night in the car with my mate!

An exciting day...although the target was less so. They're all one...

No comments: