Tuesday 28 August 2018

Great White Egret - the full story

"One man's meat is another man's poison"

Birder's are no different. Lists can be constructed...and recorded, ad infinitum these days. I've got one or two! As already stated I was a tad disappointed on Saturday evening after Richard informed me of the GWE that had been seen near the Sewage Works. I forlornly trudged along the footpath still in my work gear with just a lone Heron laughing at me...


...Oh and a couple of deer...


Sunday came and went as I made four visits to the area with no sign of the bird. I made another early morning visit yesterday but still no sign. I checked a few local spots for migrants but it was quiet. Just after midday I was on my way to Tesco in With' for some supplies. As I passed the Sewage Works I had a rather nice surprise. There stood in the stubble right by the road was...

Bingo!
A VERY nice moment!!!

I put the news out and took some more photos. The bird fed in the field and then dropped into the ditch...


As you are aware significant sightings can be hard to come by, so this was a special moment indeed...and a re-find to boot! I commented previously on the remarkable nature of this record in the Holmpton area "desert". It now became even more so as the bird had stayed in the area for at least 3 days!!

I sent a few messages to my pals but when I looked up it had disappeared and I couldn't re-locate it.  was now parked up by the Sewage Works entrance and another car pulled up. It was Graham Speight who'd driven up from Spurn to try for the bird. I told him I'd just "had" it but it wasn't showing at the moment. We checked the ditch but it wasn't there. We then walked the public footpath towards Hollym Village. Graham carried on a bit further but  decided to return in case it dropped in again. As I reached the road the bird flew in from the south (Holmpton LIFE 157)...


I couldn't see Graham over the hill but within a couple of minutes he was enjoying close flight views as the bird flew right by him. After a brief chat he carried on his way. I decided to drive round to the A1033 which was the direction the bird had flown. I parked up and peered through a gap in the hedge.

There flying right towards me n the fading light was the GWE...


It carried on over the road and appeared to land in the Willows Caravan Park. I couldn't relocate it. There was no sign of the bird this morning but yesterdays experience was right up there!

No tick like a quality local one!

No comments: