Sunday 5 August 2018

Conservation - it's complicated!

I use social media to glean information about family and friends as well as for my Birdy adventures...and that's that. However, it's impossible not to notice "other" topics and believe me I do try...hard!!!

Like most news...it's a depressing outlook. I won't repeat the gloom here. I'm sure you get the drift.

One topic I will mention, just as an example, is the conflict between conservation organisations. I don't get involved in on-line "discussions" but here's my two penneth...

  • In the 90's I remember well the disagreements between English Nature and Yorkshire Wildlife Trust in the LDV. Water level disputes amongst others issues regarding Flora and Fauna.

  • Currently we have a well publicized, bitter dispute, down the road at Spurn.

  • The third issue is the RSPB. Seems it's like Marmite! You either love it or hate it. Many criticising the hypocrisy and politics of the organization. Nothing new there. Personally I support it, if only for the fact that it preserves habitat and helps maintain key species, and on occasions, improve ther tenuous foothold. There are some MAGNIFICENT reserves. What's the alternative, more Farmland/Buildings? Also, many disapprovers wouldn't think twice about twitching a rare bird on an RSPB reserve!? Hypocritical?

The sad truth is that it's hard enough to protect what's left of our ever dwindling habitat on our overcrowded island, without Conservation bodies at each others throats. There're more than enough enemies of Wildlife out there...

No comments: