Friday 24 August 2018

Frampton RSPB

I kept my promise to myself and rose at 5.30am. Bud got an early blast and I was away for 6.30. Phil was already there. He messaged me to say he'd let me know asap if the bird was still present. It was!

Over the Humber Bridge...and onward...

I arrived just after 10 and discovered both the STILT SANDPIPER and the Red-necked Phalarope had disappeared! As if to make up for this disappointment I received a tweet from Lincs and Norfolk RSPB informing me that a Long-billed Dowitcher had just been found on Marsh Farm Reservoir. Handy!

Being familiar with the reserve I made my way down the footpath to the site. Around half-a-dozen Birders were present and the bird was in their sights, albeit distantly. A kind gent allowed me a peep. I decided to take the footpath down the side of the reservoir to try for a better view. The view would be into the sun but at least it wouldn't be a dot. Fortunately the bird moved along the edge allowing me a "slightly" better view...


I then made my way back to the Visitor Centre. I had a brief chat with one of the staff. I asked him about the pattern of behaviour of the SS. He told me about a couple of spots that might be worth trying. No luck on "the mound" near Reedbed Hide, so onto North Scrape...


As I approached a birder beckoned me over saying..."I think I've got it". Having seen a few Stateside I was happy to confirm. Just the two of us...as the song goes. We were soon joined by the cavalry.

My best effort at around 50 yards...

STILT SANDPIPER
As mentioned previously I have a definite leaning towards American species and I'm glad I made the trip. I only have one previous sighting of this smart wader in Britain at Minsmere 13/9/1997.

No comments: