Thursday 14 June 2018

Scaling Dam

Wednesday found me making the journey North through Yorkshire to Scaling Dam. News of two lingering Ospreys tempted me to make the awkward journey from Holmpton. I arrived around midday, parked up and started to explore the area. I'd been a few times before but hadn't really spent any significant time here. It was pleasing to learn that there was a circular path that went right round the reservoir. We set off from the eastern end in a clockwise direction. The weather on the way was poor but it was now sunny and clear. Result!

Initial birdy thoughts included many Willow Warbler families and good numbers of Lapwings flying over. There was also a pair of Curlew right by the path...


Unfortunately halfway down the reservoir we bumped into a chap who was spraying the weeds to keep the path clear. We decided to turn about. Bud had a paddle on the return leg...



We then walked down the dam wall towards the sailing club and bird hide. The views were spectacular over the water and onto the moor...


A few Tufted Ducks were present...


...as well as the usual "Geese". I then noticed a distinctive shape over the water...a Cuckoo! The bird was silent and landed on the steps by the dam wall...


The heat haze was strong but you get the idea. A nice bonus.

At the sailing club I succumbed to a rip-off Magnum...£2.50!!! They are now half the size and three times the cost? We'd walked a fair way, so the rest on the bench was welcomed and I had a great vantage point to scan the area. A couple of birders arrived and sat on the adjacent bench. I liked them  because they said Buddy was beautiful! After around 30 minutes one of them picked up an Osprey in the top of a conifer on the far bank...


That was my cue for another stretch. I made my way along the circular path and up onto the moor. As I cleared the wood behind the car park an Osprey appeared over the moor! Unfortunately and stupidly, I'd not checked my battery and by the time I'd swapped the bird had drifted off. I did manage a few decent shots however...




I saw both birds well over the next couple of hours.

Nearly got it...



I continued up onto the moor for a better vantage point. Amazingly I managed to re-find the bird enjoying it's fish on a post way out over the moor...



So, success. The other strong memory of the visit was the encouraging number of breeding Curlews and Lapwings in the area...


A perfect setting...


A very enjoyable 6 hour visit and 7.2 miles walked to boot!



No comments: