Friday 1 June 2018

Golden Oriole - a very special evening

It was still around BUT I didn't have any luck this morning. I DID connect eventually with a female Red-backed Shrike...


I also had a good chat with a Birder from Hull who was having a week at Withernsea. We enjoyed prolonged if mainly distant views of the RBS.

We both decided to try again for the GO at Chalky Point. By the time I'd parked and sorted Bud out I'd lost "my mate" so we set off towards Sammy's. As I approached the eastern end of SP I could see a small group of Birders training their scopes and bins into the field I was approaching. A dilemma. I wasn't sure where they were looking but it could have been the bush I was approaching! So, like a good lad I stopped and waited not wanting to flush it. Turns out they were looking much further across the field into a distant bush. Another Birder...Tony form Leeds and his mate approached me and pointed out the area the bird was in. Fortunately I managed to find it before it flew off...


The heat haze was strong but I wasn't complaining after a week of fog! Great to see this special bird again.

After sorting a few things out at home I returned this evening for more exercise and maybe another peep at the Golden Wonder. I made my way down the path from Sammy's car park towards Kilnsea. It was a clear bright evening and all the haze had disappeared. All I needed now was the bird!

I reached the area of low bushes were I'd seen it this afternoon...and waited. You may or may not be aware that this species can be VERY difficult to pick out, even in relatively open habitat. I scanned the area hard for a good 30 minutes. Nothing.

More scanning...then...there it was...around 50yds away...


Blends in well, doesn't it. I enjoyed the bird catching caterpillars for a good 20 minutes.

To mark my best ever views of this species in Britain I'm going to post a few images of various quality to mark the occasion. Hope you enjoy them...






A really enjoyable and satisfying experience...


As I was about to leave a lone Barnacle Goose headed out over the Humber from Kilnsea Wetlands...


P.119, S.88

Then just to bring me back down to earth, as Birding often does, I learnt on returning home that a VERY late Glaucous Gull had flown south. A potential Spurn tick no less. Ah well, one to look for...in the future.

No comments: